Saturday, August 1, 2009

Fiber Bucket List

I ran across a link for a person at Storey Publishing that is working on a new book - a knitter’s “life list” of projects to complete, techniques and yarns to try, places to visit, and more. She needs as much input as possible from passionate knitters. If you are interested in helping her out, click here to give her your input. Your name will be entered in a contest to win three Storey Books of your choice.

This, coupled with the Navajo weaving class we had last week got me thinking a bit about "bucket lists" (have you seen the movie? - the list of things you want to accomplish before you "kick the bucket") for fiber. One of the ladies in the class said that learning to weave a Navajo style rug was on her life list. Do you have bucket lists? Fiber related bucket lists? Things you want to add to your repertoire of skills? Knitting, crocheting, spinning, weaving? I've always wanted to make a fair isle sweater. One of those amazing catches-your-breathe-with-their-beauty ones. Course, I'm intimidated by the thought of it, so it stays in the background of "someday". When I first started making sweaters I really liked the Lopi style sweaters and thought that "someday" when I really got good, I would try one of those. I finally did it, and you know what? It was EASY. When I taught a friend to knit, I had her make one of those as her first sweater because they're so easy. I don't know if a fair isle will fall into that head-smacking, why-didn't-I-try-this-sooner category or not, but probably it will. I should pick a pattern and go for it.

What's on your fiber bucket list? What are you putting off for "someday"?

1 comment:

Michelle said...

You just named the one thing on my list - a Fair Isle sweater in natural colors of Shetland sheep!